Reports ToEVP, Director of Human Resources
CREA, LLC is a full-service Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Syndicator forming long-term relationships with investors and developers that cultivate success and improve lives. As CREA celebrates 20 years in business, over $7.1 billion has been raised, contributing to the formation of over 60,000 homes within 678 properties. Approaching over 120 employees we continue to look for talented and passionate individuals who are excited about opportunities to grow with into the future. We are currently looking to add talent for the position of Payroll Administrator & HR Compliance Coordinator to work out of our headquarters in Indianapolis, IN.
As the Payroll Administrator, the candidate will have broad ranging duties associated with CREA’s payroll function, managing and processing semi-monthly payroll utilizing a third-party payroll processor for all employees located in several states throughout the US. The successful candidate will have the chance to serve as a key contributor to a high energy environment and strengthen their understanding of both operational and technical payroll processes.
In the area of Human Resources Compliance, the candidate proactively reviews federal and multi-state compliance updates and changes, including state and local law changes, posting requirements, workers compensation and other Payroll/HR compliance-related events.
What You Will Do
Payroll Administrator Activities:
- Manage processing and compliance for semi-monthly payroll
- Work closely with the Human Resources and Accounting teams on various accounting related activities as needed, including exempt and non-exempt payrolls, payroll tax filing reconciliations, financial reporting and variance analysis
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary staff including interns, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate and timely;
- Assist in development, implementation and documentation of payroll processes, policies and procedures to ensure proper internal controls
- Assist in the review of all payroll reporting to ensure accurate and timely filing with appropriate government authorities
- Manage monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll account reconciliations and reporting those responsible for accounting, payroll, and audit responsibilities.
- Provide information and answer employee questions about payroll related matters
- Assist with the maintenance of employee records
- Coordinate with the other HR team members to ensure accurate employee data
- Coordinate communications between third party payroll provider and state, local and federal agencies.
- Primary Paylocity and other vendor contact
HR Compliance/HRIS & Technology
- Proactively partners with Director of HR to develop and maintain a healthy, productive, legally compliant work environment
- Legislative Activity – keeping apprised of changes in laws and guidelines on a federal, state and local level
- Reviews and updates electronic postings periodically on various internal sites
- Point of contact for CREA’s internal Compliance Committee
- Conducts research and partners with third party vendor to process and updates various state and local business registrations
- Assists with annual 401(k) compliance activities and audit
- Assists with annual workers compensation compliance requirements
- Candidate has knowledge and utilization of Payroll and HRIS and related systems to maximize process efficiency, data integrity and integration, while ensuring data security
- Administers transactions and manages ongoing updating in Paylocity, and other HR systems
- Paylocity Payroll, Reporting and Compliance Subject Matter Expert, continued education & learning to maximize benefits of the portal
- Assists in Evaluating and implementing data automation when appropriate
- Manages, automates, processes and provides ad hoc reporting to departments.
As an individual contributor on a small HR team, and driven by business needs, the candidate will have periodic opportunities to assist in other HR areas, such as general employee support, talent acquisition, benefits, communication, DEI initiatives etc.
Works closely with the Director of Human Resources on special projects and performs other supportive duties as assigned.
About You/Experience & Requirements
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join the team in a professional environment, who enjoys helping others, building relationships and adding value to a growing HR team. Client service is key for this position, providing exceptional overall and one-on-one support for over 120 employees in ten states. Outstanding communication skills with excellent verbal, written and listening skills to maximize service to all employees and continue a positive working relationship with CREA’s accounting team and other departments.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working with payroll in a multi-state environment;
- Associates degree and Payroll Certification CPP strongly preferred; bachelor’s degree a plus
- Experience with Paylocity Payroll preferred;
- Attention to detail, data entry accuracy, and organizational skills;
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Emit trust, maintain confidentiality and exhibit composure in stressful situations.
- Dependable, timeliness, and consistency working in a team environment;
- Appreciation of the confidentiality of payroll information;
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite with a focus on Excel;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interact with CREA management and employees at all levels
- Professionalism/Ethics (Trust, Attitude, Commitment, Honesty, Collaboration, & Approachability